2.02.2010

The riches of the forgiveness of our Lord!

"I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the LORD;' and You forgave the guilt of my sin." Psalm 32:5

Christ's sacrifice alone allows our sins to be forgiven. "For it was fitting for us to have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens; who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the sins of the people, because this He did once for all when He offered up Himself." Hebrews 7:26-27

In Psalm 32:5 my heart is revived by the the forgiveness of Christ. We see that not only does He forgive our sins ("As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us." Psalm 103:12), but He forgives the guilt of them too. In this verse, guilt means: depravity, the guilt or punishment of iniquity. We all know that sin has consequences, and we have all at one point or another in our lives, struggled with harboring the guilt that comes from sin. When we truly receive the lovingkindness of the LORD and really live out repentance, we see how rich His forgiveness is. He reaches to the depths of us.

I am in awe that the Lord, knows the depths of my heart, my sinful heart (Jer. 17:9) and He still goes after my heart. He goes there. He knows how disgusting it is and yet He, Holy and Perfect and Righteous, goes into it and lovingly, bit by bit cleans it out. He creates in me a pure heart (psalm 51:10).

What I am so captivated by with this passage is how God's word shows us that everything we are, everything we do starts and finishes with God alone. His forgiveness, HIS grace, HIS love. It is all HIM!! It is His kindness that leads us to repentance, in His word we see our sin for what it really is, it is His Holy Spirit that works in us to regenerate our hearts and purify us, it is His forgiveness that cleanses us from sin. Our omniscience God, knew that we would not only need our sins forgiven but also the guilt associated with them too. Sometimes guilt overwhelms us and leads us away from Calvary. We harbor it in our hearts, not fully accepting the reality of Christ's forgiveness. We judge ourselves and our sins so harshly that sometimes we fail to truly lay it down and just simply trust that the perfect forgiveness Christ offers is complete. We are right in examining ourselves and asking the Lord to cleanse us from sin, but we can quickly go wrong when we judge or condemn ourselves. We ought to be grieved by our sin, that is the work of God in us!! But, we must readily accept His forgiveness and beg for His grace to live in newness of life!!


Oh, how I judge myself!! I second guess myself, I struggle with "feeling" unforgiven so I left emotions rule rather than truth at times. I am thankful that repentance starts with Him. The payment He offered for my life overwhelms my heart with a myriad of emotions. I think sometimes as believers we need to meditate on the completeness of Christ's forgiveness and we can only do that in His word.

"BLESSED ARE THOSE WHOSE LAWLESS DEEDS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN, AND WHOSE SINS HAVE
BEEN COVERED." Romans 4:7

2 comments:

Liz said...

The way you wrote this is beautiful and could not come at a more perfect time in my personal life. Oh, how I also struggle with letting the completeness of CHRIST's forgiveness take over my soul. I struggle with my "feelings" of un-forgiveness instead of just focusing on the truth of the word of God. I thank the Lord that he gave you this to write. And thank you for writing it ;)What beauty the word of God holds for us!

Brittany said...

Thank you Liz, Praise all be to God!! He is so good. I love journeying through His word! It is so rich and so amazing!! He honestly just captivates my heart daily with Himself!!!