1.15.2010

"and Your words became for me a joy" Jer. 15:16

I used to wonder how in the world people could get depressed. I really did, which I confess in itself is a very judgmental thought, because I do not know the heart of any man nor do I know their circumstances. So over the past few months, as I've started to realize I myself am struggling with being depressed at times, it was honestly quite a shock to me. I mean, I KNOW Jesus, the Author of Life! How can I be depressed? At least these were my thoughts initially. What the Lord has shown me over the course of several months, is the work God doing in my life...almost cyclical. Bringing sin to light with His word, and then bringing me to repentance and NOT leaving me alone until it is dealt with, and then again! Sometimes living under the despair of knowing how great your sin is can be depressing. If you allow it to be. I've found when my focus is on myself and my sin instead of my Savior and His forgiveness and redemption, then I do fall into that depressed state. Honestly...who wouldn't? Dwelling on ourselves is really a disgusting place to dwell if we think on it for a moment. We are sinners, we can NOT do any good on our own, we can do nothing apart from Christ. Nothing good dwells within us! So with all that "gloom and doom" it's easy to see how a person could get depressed.

But if we ask God to give us a right focus, one that is on Christ, then we will see in our lives God restoring the JOY of His salvation! As in Isaiah 61:1-3:

"The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, Because the LORD has anointed me To bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to captives and freedom to prisoners; To proclaim the favorable year of the LORD And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn, To grant those who mourn in Zion, giving them a garland instead of ashes, The oil of gladness instead of mourning, The mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting. So they will be called oaks of righteousness, The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified."

That we would be oaks of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified!!! AMEN!!! That God may receive he glory! Isn't that what it's all about? And yet we continue to strive in vanity for so many things to fill the void that is only filled with Christ by God!!!

I want a heart and mind so saturated with the word of God, that I cry out like Jeremiah, "Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts." Jeremiah 15:16 (emphasis added)

Most definitely in times of depression, we must find joy in God's word! God is a God of joy. He created joy and He restores to us the joy of His salvation (Psalm 51:12) for His glory! I loved this in 2 Corinthians 7:6, "But God, who comforts the depressed.."

As I know this is somewhat of a thorn in my flesh, and no doubt will struggle with feelings of being depressed at times, I am alert and willing to stand ready to fight off the sinful self focus and keep my thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ (2 Cor 10:5) and to be compelled by the LOVE of Christ (2 Cor 5:14). I do not want to waste my time, yet instead redeem it becuase the days are evil (Eph 5:16). I want to use the days and nights God gives me for His glory, and I am thankful that He is a living and active God working daily in my heart to refine it, to get out the old and fill it with the new.

"But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices, and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him." Colossians 3:8-10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.