4.08.2013

It's all level ground

It's all about me!  You hear this all the time, and honestly it's an easy trap to fall into isn't it?  Marketing departments across the world dump billions of dollars into marketing the idea that we are to look after ourselves.  Take care of yourself!  Live for yourself, focus on yourself....have some "ME TIME."

Would you think I was nuts if I were to agree?  What? How is that biblical at all?

Well....roll with me on this one.  What I'm suggesting is a biblical approach to taking care of yourself...not necessarily emptying the bank account to buy the prefect pair of jeans....or ignoring all those around you just to live a carefree happy life....but rather I'm talking about the "me" time that is just you, by yourself....with no devices attached, no distractions...but just you...and the Lord.

There are several scriptures that the Lord has used to emphasize and re-emphasize the importance of bathing myself in prayer and in the word in order to be ready to teach others over the years, but this morning in 1 Samuel was such a tremendous blessing to me, and I pray it is for you as well.

"Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and right way."  1 Samuel 12:23

He says, "As for me" and "far be it from me"  and "that I should sin."  Notice he doesn't say "as for you"  or "Far be it from you" or "That you should not sin against the LORD."  The example to us, is that our first priority is our personal relationship with the LORD.  Our relationship with the LORD must be prioritized and nourished.  We have to pursue Him first. 

Keep reading in the verse, he says, "and I will instruct you in the good and right way."  First it is about him and his relationship with God.  How can a man or woman....be prepared to instruct (or correct) others in the ways of God if they themselves are not in His word, seeking His will, His face...and asking how they might live first.  So first he tends to his relationship with the Lord, his heart...his motives, his sin, his struggles...not those of others around him.    Then, then he is filled with the Lord and ready to go and minister....either by teaching, loving, correcting or encouraging...whatever capacity he is called to serve...he is first filled by God and directed by His word because he was pursuing God himself.

It is just as in Ezra 7:10 (oh how this is my favorite...it just resonates to the very depths of my soul)....

"For Ezra had devoted himself to the study and observance of the Law of the Lord, and to teaching its decrees and laws in Israel."

It is the same example from Ezra.  First Ezra humbled himself before the Lord for teaching and instruction and then he sought to teach others.

And again confirmed in Matthew and Luke, I'll use Luke's text today,

"How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."  Luke 6:42

See dear friend, it's all level ground. We are all sinners.  We are all saved by the same grace...that glorious grace of the Lord Jesus.   The one and only Jesus, the one we are to "fix our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."  Hebrews 12:2

This Jesus who compassionately loves us, graciously saves us, and daily sanctifies us.  This Jesus who is above all and who gave more than we would ever deserve so we could know and serve a God who is beyond human comprehension. 

Humbling?  Yeah.....I'd say so.

Freeing?  Absolutely.

Empowering?  Without doubt...my God has no end and He is never exhausted by my great need for Him.

No comments: