6.28.2013

Another one of those "respectable" sins..

Sometimes I think the Lord allows you to be the subject of a sin...so that you can really understand the impact of it when you indulge in it.

Honestly, a few months ago during one of my quiet times God spoke softly to my heart about gossip.
How ugly it is, how it really hurts not just the one you speak of, or your own reputation...but Him.

Biblically speaking...let's just get right down to it...God made each of us.  All of us.  Believer and unbeliever alike.  Christ followers are no better than those that aren't...they are covered by the blood of Christ.  Precious blood, costly blood, blood that my Savior willingly spilled for me, and you...even if you deny Him.  He died for each of us, His love is beyond comprehension.

Sometimes I wish the unbelieving world was able to wrap their minds around that.  Sometimes I wish fellow believers would wrap their minds around that.

So...I'm re-reading this book, by Jerry Bridges as part of some research I'm doing, it's called "Respectable Sins."  It's good.  It might  should step on your toes.  Because in the quietness of our hearts,  we can admit without fear we all struggle with sin in some way or another.

As I was reading, this is what the Lord spoke to my heart about gossip:

G= Go with God..follow Jesus' example: "and rising very early in the morning while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed."  Mark 1:35

O= Others first..ask yourself, "Would I want someone speaking of me in this manner?"  "Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others."  Phil 2:4

SStop and Pray "Will what I say give grace to those who hear?"  "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."  Eph. 4:29

S= Self last "What is my true motivation for sharing this about others?"  "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourself"  Phil 2:3

I=  Is it truth? Even if a story is true, will it point others to Jesus, and His salvation?  "Sanctify them in truth, your word is truth."  John 17:17

P= Pursue God  Chasing after the Lord and His righteousness will lead me in a direction that honors God.  I may not be popular, but I will have done the right thing. "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night."  Psalm 1:1-2


Hope this helps you as it helps me.  I'm thankful for the grace of God and the love He gives that covers a multitude of sin.  Trust me, I do not have it all together, I do not pretend to be above reproach in this area...I'm a work in progress....leaning on the arms of Christ to grant me grace to honor Him...that's all.  But sometimes when the Lord speaks to your heart powerfully...you feel you'll burst if you don't share.

I'd love comments, scriptures you find that help you deal with this particular sins, reminders you've got that help you not fall into those "respectable sins" 

3 comments:

Cheryll said...

Amen Sister! This is one of my biggest struggles~

Rebecca said...

Some have said that it's gossip when we try to alert others about those in the church who are molesting children or beating their wives and those who are protecting the abusers. Yes, it's speaking negatively about someone, for sure. (No, I don't want anyone else to speak about me that way.) My report to others may come across as "not administering grace," but my prayer is that it ultimately will. The definition of gossip here seems to leave no room for warning people about predators, the wolves that God told us would be in the midst of the sheep.

Jerry Bridges may not think about very UNrespectable sins needing to be the subject of discussion in churches in order to protect people. But it's important for those of us who care about others to speak out, and it won't always sound pretty.

Brittany said...

Rebecca, I agree with you about speaking out...I honestly believe (giving the author the benefit of the doubt) that gossip he was addressing and what you are speaking of are two very different things. If there is truth to be told (however difficult to accept) that will warn others and protect people, then it must be spoken. God most definitely gives discernment, I do know from experience that often times speaking out in difficult situations can turn ugly....but I am thankful that our Lord works all things out.