6.07.2013

Summer School?!?!


So, about two weeks into summer, and I decided my boys both my boys and I will not make it all summer with no routine or schedule.  So after some encouragement in revamping our chore charts, and being very firm with daily reading requirements...I decided we are going to accomplish two things...first we will have family devotions every morning just like we did while in school.  What the boys don't realize is teaching the Bible is my passion so this always took an hour during the school year, and it may end up taking more during the summer! Second, we will have some adventure every day that makes them laugh, learn and appreciate what the Lord has given us!

I do not use a bible curriculum...not yet, I think as they get older I may do something more structured...but what I do it daily as I study in my personal quiet time, I ask the Lord each day before I start reading to teach me great and unsearchable things I do not know (Jer. 33:3) then I write up a lesson for my boys for that day.  Sometimes, as I teach through it I'll notice they need to stay in a specific verse for the week...sometimes just a day.  Whatever their need is...I try to meet it with God's word.

Specifically I was in John 17 this morning and I came to verse 17 and was stuck again.  I really really LOVE this verse!!!  "Sanctify them in truth, your word it truth!"  John 17:17

I could go on and on and on some more about why I love this verse, but mostly because it is a gentle reminder that God's word is powerful, absolute truth, active in our lives and relevant for our needs.

So, I created this short lesson for the boys this morning, I've got an extra boy, one of my precious nephews gets to 'tag along' this morning...my plan is:

1.  Read John 17:17
2.  Discuss what Sanctify means (dedicate to God, cleanse internally, to purify by renewing the soul)
3.  Ask, "How can I as a believer proclaim Christ and His gospel if I am not in the word myself?"
4.  Ask, "What is devotion?"  "Why is devoting time to the study of God's word important?"
5.  Discuss what the Word does (although not exhaustive...this is where I'm pointing them: Sanctifies, encourages, strengthens, and purifies).

Then, we will read through 1 Thessalonians 4:18 (encouragement),   Psalm 10:17 (Strengthen), Titus 2:14 (Purify) and Reread John 17:17 (sanctify).

Then I found a free crossword puzzle maker online and made one for the boys to complete, obviously my 4 year old will need some assistance...but I'm praying this will be fun, engaging and that the Word will accomplish that which He sent it out to accomplish (Isaiah 55:11)!

Here is a copy of the answer sheet...you can print both I just thought the answer sheet showed how cool that tool really is!

Happy Summer All!!!!

No comments: