5.14.2009

Living Differently

I just read through Titus this afternoon and as I was reading the Lord just spoke to me through these verses, "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age." Titus 2:11-12

Ladies when we look around our world today we see so many evidences of people striving to be "different" or to be individuals. It's sometimes sad, sometimes frightening, and at other times just weird. But then when I think with the right heart (one surrendered to the Lord) I see people desperate for an identity. They want so much to be identified as something or someone. Most of the time people need Jesus. He gives us an identity that can not be shaken. I can honestly say I'm sick of hearing "well they say they are Christians but it doesn't mean anything." Why doesn't it? Because the divorce rate within the church is the same as the divorce rate on the "outside" of the church. Because the gossip and judgment passed on believers by believers is downright scary. Because the lack of unity and focus on Christ causes us to look at ourselves almost continually and evaluate ourselves by some skewed standard that does not hold even the slightest candle to the standard God has. I remember growing up and not being raised in the church, I always thought Christians were different, and I remember at the young age of 21, a lady at church responded to a question stating, "Christians are absolutely no different than non-Christians" There may be a lot of truth to that, in that we are still sinners just as unbelievers are. But I believe that saying there is no difference, seriously belittles Christ's accomplishment on Calvary. Seeing as Christ Himself is the Only difference, I'd say we have an eternal difference. We have within us the LIVING God who empowers us to live soberly in this present age.

I was pondering what it means to be different, to live soberly in this present age...and the Lord sweetly reminded me of His words in Romans 12, and as I turned there in my Bible, how neat, the subtitle for the verses was "Behave like a Christian" I think so many times we have ideas or presuppositions as to what the Christian life looks like, that we fail to run to the timeless word of God and seek from Him what it looks like. Romans 12:9-21

Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord. "BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.


I don't know about you, but as I read that, I see something different, I see a list of characteristics that are humanly unattainable, and yet by the power of the Holy Spirit living within me, which God Himself supplies (gal. 3:5) I know that I can daily die to self and pick up the Cross of Christ, allowing my sinful self to be crucified along with its' desires and passions and I can wholly rest in the loving arms of my Savior to transform me. Lately God has been working in my heart, the intense desire to be transformed. I keep crying out to Him, "Lord please do not let me be conformed to the world, but rather transform me by renewing my mind." I have been begging the Lord to transform me, and to transform several ladies in my life that I know need Jesus. See I have the privilege of crying out for salvation for my family. My mother and my sister so so need Christ, my stepmother as well. I have always counted it a privilege to be able to beseech God on their behalf, and I pray that one day in my lifetime God will draw them unto Himself and I will see them come to rest in Him, and if not in my lifetime, maybe one day...I'll see them in heaven. God can do the impossible!!

I want to live soberly (being of sound mind) within this world, using God's word alone to judge my thoughts and intentions, and relying upon Christ to lead my steps...daily. I want Christ to parent through me, I want Christ to love my spouse through me, I want to be the wife, mother, fried, sister that seeks to bring honor and glory to God above all else. I am desperate for a revival ladies. I know of too many people going through painful circumstances be it divorce, adultery or just other nasty sin, where they have yielded to the flesh and yet name the Name above all others, Jesus. Would you join me in praying for a transformation, first in yourself, then in others (me especially). Let us as women of Christ, beg the Lord to revive our hearts according to His Word (Psalm 119) and renew within us a steadfast spirit to seek Him, to honor Him, to PRIORITIZE Him. Ladies, living for Christ is different. You will be different, you may lose some friends, you may gain some friends....you may get some weird looks from the kiddos at times..but remember on that day, you'll answer to God by yourself....just as I will....and we must live soberly in this present age to His glory. Only by the power of the Holy Spirit, can we live and behave as a Christian, a true child of God. I want to radically live as a disciple of Christ, I want people to see Jesus in me because I know that there are way too many people in this world that need Him, starting with (for me) my children and my mother, sister and stepmother. Ponder the word of the Lord ladies, let us meditate upon it so that it is woven into the very fiber of our beings. That as we live our lives, what proceeds from out mouths is His word because it is so hidden in our hearts.

I don't know who reads or follows my blog, but I hope that at some point some sweet ladies needing Jesus stumble upon it and see Him....He is good, He is amazing, He is transforming, He reaches down to wherever you are, and snatches you out of the pits of despair and saves you from eternal separation from God...Jesus went to the cross, knowing me and knowing my sins, my repeated offenses, my stubbornness, my shame..He knew it all, and still went!! He knew people would deny Him, and yet He still went to the Cross. I am amazed and humbled by our Savior. This is Jesus who gave His life while we were still enemies of His.

I beg of you dear sisters, let us live differently, let us live for Jesus!

No comments: