1.06.2010

Clinging to the Covenant Keeping Father

"But you are to cling to the LORD your God, as you have done to this day." Joshua 23:8 NAS

I am so heavily burdened for my children. Particularly with regard to their education. I want them to receive instruction from a Biblical worldview above all else. So off the top that eliminates public school, which leaves two options, Private Christian School and then Home school. Home school opens a whole can of worms...the criticisms and the opinions of others. It's tough. This morning as I was thinking about the future and what my options are for my two oldest boys, I was in tears grieving over what could be. It hasn't even occurred yet, I just want to do the best for them.

So as I was contemplating all these thoughts, the Lord just stopped me and graciously pulled me back into His peace. I realized there wasn't a thing I could do about it right that moment, and I have two sweet toddlers running around that need a Mommy's attention and love, and not a distracted emotional mess of a mother. I resolved to lay it down, and to pick it up at nap time. So here I am blogging because the Lord led me to the most amazing scripture that I know for a fact I've read before, and yet it was exactly what I needed today! I sat down with my bible expecting an answer. After all, Jesus Christ is the answer! Over and over Deuteronomy was flooding my mind, "These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up." Deut. 6:6-7

With that in my mind, I began thumbing through the pages of my notebook to find an empty page to begin note taking, the Lord graciously brought me to Joshua 23:8. You see, this is the answer! I must fervently cling to the LORD my God! He is faithful and He gives wisdom liberally to all who ask without finding fault (James 1:5). So I have no answer yet for next year for my childrens' education. But I do have complete comfort that I must cling (which in the Hebrew can be translated as "to be joined together") to my Covenant Keeping Father. He has called me to be these boys' mother and I know He alone will equip me to do it to His glory, even if that means I home school my oldest...with two others at home.

What I felt today was amazing. I saw the enemy seek to distract my heart and captivate my focus on a problem, by using worry and anxiety about future events. I began to get anxious about school for next year (which is EIGHT months away)...and just like that I started to research options on the internet, all the while my two little ones just want to play and learn and grow with Mommy. How quickly we can be distracted. Is it bad that I want to research options about my childrens' education? Absolutely not, I have to be responsible and plan reasonably for the future, but I must prioritize. When is the appropriate time...while my children are napping or after they go to bed. I can not neglect them because of fear and worry about future events. I must take my thoughts captive to Christ, resting in the FACT that He HOLDS the future in His hands, He has ordained every detail for His glory. I must redeem the time (Eph 5:16).

Dear sisters, it is so easy to allow the circumstances that arise to take our focus from Christ. I see this in myself all too often. We must resolve to be on guard. "Be on guard, so that your hearts will not be weighted down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of life, and that day will not come on you suddenly like a trap;" Luke 21:34 How beautiful God's word puts it, be on guard SO THAT our hearts will not be weighted down. Oh how I stumble and fall and allow my heart to be weighted down. When Christ is lovingly there saying, "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matthew 11:29-30

No comments: