1.09.2012

Finding Encouragement

My husband and I are very blessed to have an amazing friend, who just so happens to also be a pastor.  His love for God's word is inspiring.  I can honestly say I have no idea how old he is, to guess...I'd say upper seventies.  Yet, this man still passionately preaches God's word....loves and lives it. 


He actually did marriage counseling for us after we had gotten married, and his counsel was the best we ever received.  One thing that stuck in my mind all these years later, was him saying, "if you are ever discouraged...turn to Psalm 37 and 73....wonderful passages to encourage believers."

As he told me that, I tucked it away in my heart...appreciating his wisdom...and his passion to share it.  A few months into my journey of parenting two boys I remember going through some down times...so I pulled it out, I counted on it...I would run to those passages and often be so encouraged...revived and refocused.

Today, on this new bible reading plan, I got to read Ephesians 1 and 2.  As I was breathing in every word, I felt so encouraged and I thought.....this is such an immense encouragement...I have to share.

I know that God is perfect, sovereign and amazing....I love His word and the depth of it.  Each time I read it, it penetrates my heart and I learn something new.  I see Jesus with so much more gratitude the older I get. 

I know a lot of people that are walking through crazy circumstances.  They need love, grace and support from friends and family...let's be honest, crazy circumstances or not...we all need the support and encouragement of friends and family.  I think one of Satan's biggest tools is isolation.  My prayer for my family is that we would look to Christ for our identity and find great peace in that, I pray that my boys passionately pursue Christ in the pages of scripture.  I pray that whoever reads this, and read His word...is so richly blessed by the truth of who you are IN Christ!!!

So as I was reading through Ephesians today, I just kept thanking God for salvation, and I felt led to post it on here.  Here is  just a taste, grab your Bible, iphone...ipad...whatever and dig in, His word is alive!!!


"In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory.  In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,  who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory."  Eph 1:11-14

"But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—  and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.  For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,  not a result of works, so that no one may boast.  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."  Eph. 2:4-10

"But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ"  Eph 2:13

Amen!!!  Our God is so praiseworthy!!!  His grace is truly immeasurable!!

No comments: