9.21.2013

Batman isn't real...yet...

No frilly tutus or hair bows or sparkly shoes floating around my house.  Just millions of Legos, an abundance of camo, hot wheels cars and tracks, random plastic bugs...a few squishy FAKE snakes....yeah...I'm surrounded by a houseful of boys.

The most recent trend is Super Heroes.  The boys all have a favorite.  Super Heroes are over running our house almost to the point where now I've picked my own favorite.  I'm actually starting to be partial to Wonder Woman.  My sweet boys have even given me their Wonder Woman Lego Mini figure and she resides on my desk lamp.  It's really thoughtful.

Last weekend I got some special one on one time with my middle son.  We try to carve out special time for each kid with one parent so they feel special.  We just spend time together, talking hanging out.  It's a really cool time.  Especially with my middle son.  I do not have favorites.  I don't believe that's a good or biblical thing.  My middle son is particularly quiet, so my dates with him are very special because that is when I really get to know him.

His favorite is Batman.  While walking through a store we found a Batman Fedora, and he was smitten.  It was super cute on him, but for $10, it stayed at the store.  As we talked that evening, I asked him if he knew Batman wasn't real.  He looked at me and without skipping a beat he responded..."not yet he isn't" 


I asked him what he meant, and he went on to tell me that when he grows up, he is going to become Batman.  He is going to design his own bat mobile and then build it.  Then he is going to buy land and design and a build a bat cave.

I am amazed at his imagination.  He is seven and has decided he will design and build what he needs to become Batman.   That's pretty cool!

This is one of my gifts, one of the countless blessings given to me by my God.  A unique, passionate, energetic, sensitive and creative little ball of fire wrapped up in flesh given the name Braden (though he assures me he is changing it to Bruce Wayne when he is old enough).

He doesn't know it, but the Lord spoke volumes to me in his "not yet" reply.  Braden, at seven is thinking, calculating and planning.  More than likely as he grows he won't execute his master plan to become Batman.  But his vision is there.  I'm much older than he is and yet I struggle with long term vision.  I struggle with planning my future today.

Every day the Lord uses my kids to teach me something new of who He is.

Every day, as I instruct my boys, the Lord instructs me.

"When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers—
    the moon and the stars you set in place—
 what are mere mortals that you should think about them,
    human beings that you should care for them?
 Yet you made them only a little lower than God
    and crowned them with glory and honor.
You gave them charge of everything you made,
    putting all things under their authority—
 the flocks and the herds
    and all the wild animals,
 the birds in the sky, the fish in the sea,
    and everything that swims the ocean currents.
 O Lord, our Lord, your majestic name fills the earth!"
Psalm 8:3-9

No comments: